Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Postcard Geography

I love to travel.  So much so that if I can't go elsewhere, I pour over travel magazines and should my friends travel, they know to be ready to provide a full detailed report when they get back.  My love for travel goes back to my early childhood when we would take road trips from Oklahoma to wherever my parents had the notion. One of these road trips resulted in our big move to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. 

Ever since I can remember, I have collected postcards from my own travels as well as others. I can remember stopping at truck stops and looking at racks of postcards trying to find the one that fit my image of where we were. Some of my most treasured postcards are from my oldest brother who lived in Italy in 1975/76.

I still enjoy postcards and the way they transport me to a different place, so when I found two big wall maps at a yard sale this summer I knew just what we would do with them. Postcard Geography!

One wall of our learning area.
Thanks to social media, I was able to ask friends and family to send postcards from their home and travels, and they have certainly come through. Just yesterday, we received a postcard from a friend who vacationed in Iceland!

As we received each postcard, we used yarn to pinpoint the location on the map with the postcard on the side and we took time to discuss/research the area and culture of each place.  We are having so much fun with it.

If any readers would like to exchange postcards just let me know. Yours would come from Philadelphia :)

In the meantime, we will have fun dreaming about far away places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!