Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Handmade Holiday - given & received

This Christmas, I was determined to make some of the gifts I would give to family memebers. To my delight I received some handmade gifts as well.

I found several easy gifts to make for stocking stuffers and included the boys in the fun.

I collected some yummy scented soaps and set out to make felted soap using the tutorial found at
Rhythm of the Home.



I never thought I would actually use the old washboard my mother gave me.



Next, Aidan and I made little felt star ornaments for teachers and friends.






It is easy for little hands if you use a cookie cutter to hold the shape.



Peppermint Lip Balm. It smells so good that I even put it in my own stocking.



The recipe is from Soulemama.



We also made beeswax votive candles to give to teachers at church and school. The boys had fun rolling the beeswax around the wick and pushing on beeswax stars. Teachers also got yummy peppermint/chocolate pretzels: Mix 2 cups of chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of Crisco over low heat. Once melted, dip in pretzel rods then roll in crushed candy canes.






I also made the boys growth charts. Here is a sneak peak. You will be able to read more about making making in the spring edition of
Rhythm of the Home, set to be released in early March.



Have I mentioned that I come from a talented family who makes lovely handmade gifts?

My older sister made herself, me, and our younger sister matching pillows remeniscient of gifts she gave me from
Middle Sister Wines.




My niece, an artist at heart, made me a lovely felt broach for my birthday.


She also made the boys fun felt food. Quite an accomplishment considering she has 2 young boys of her own.


My younger sister is so creative and makes lovely one-of-a-kind cards.



My husband, who never gives himself enough credit for his artistic talent, has a woodwork in progress for me. Hanging in our home, it will be a lovely reminder of our love.

2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful handmade gifts, this is something that I would love to include in our family gift giving traditions. Love the felt food set, and the project your husband is working on look like it will be very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that washboard.I remember doing my laundry by hand using one at my great-aunt's house.:)

    ReplyDelete

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!