Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Exploring after a New England snow storm

Last weekend, we visited my husband's parents in Connecticut just hours after several inches of snow had fallen on top of the 18 inches they received a week ago. It reminded me of my childhood in north Idaho.

We took the boys outside to play in the igloo that Papa and 2 cousins built. It was great! There was a slide entrance and a tunnel exit. Even Tug the dog enjoyed it.




While the boys, Papa and Daddy played, I explored as much as the snow would allow. Their home is settled on several wooded acres that I could explore for hours on end. It was noontime and the little birds were singing and raiding the bird feeders. Every once in a while, the wind would pick up and blow snow off the trees and into my face.

On a little walk down the long wooded driveway, we found some little mouse tracks climbing over a mound of snow.



Because the sun was straight overhead, it's beams hit the untouched flat snow just right to make each snowflake its own sparkling prism shining a rainbow of colors. It was beautiful and so hard to look away. (A photo just doesn't do it justice.)


Later that day, we went on a drive to see my husband's grandma On the side of the road were ice cicles that reached over 15 feet long and a scening creek pushing through the frozen ice.


The next time we go up, the snow will be gone and flowers will be pushing through the dirt (thanks to The Root Children, of course.) I look forward to more exploring.

Who knows what we will find!

1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful pics! It reminds me of all the fun we had in Coeur d'Alene as well! You are very talented and encourage me to continue to look at things through the children's eyes! Love you, Blister!

    ReplyDelete

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!